Friday, September 17, 2010

Talk Amongst Yourselves?


Today I clicked on an article on CNN.com about Yom Kippur. So I read about three sentences when this (somewhat) unrelated picture, in a ancillary side bar, caught my eye. At first glance, I thought it was showing an anti-Semitic act (I thought the marquee belonged a synagogue) but, then I realized no. Then, I thought it was CNN's disappointingly moronic attempt at placement irony(that this picture is being advertised on an article about a Jewish holiday). I guess because I clicked on an article about religion, this picture came up. Whatever. After that, I started to think about what the simple sign said and what it meant.

The sign belonged to a Christian Church.

He Lives!
He Reigns!
End of discussion.

Three statements. Two descriptive, one command.

The first thing I wondered was, "Where was the discussion?" If you are ending a discussion there has to be a beginning. For a discussion to take place there should be two people speaking. There was no dialogue. One person speaking is not a discussion. Giving me two statements and then concluding without the opportunity to speak is not a discussion.

So you may believe "He Lives", you may believe "He Reigns" but, also believe even Shakespeare had detractors who would not applaud his monologues.

--------Ok so you might not like this but, did it make you think? Leave a comment. Start a DISCUSSION :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh and to let you know, I did edit this quite heavily. While I believe in what I originally wrote and I am quite proud of what I wrote, it probably wouldn't have worked to make people think new thoughts. I don't mean to offend but, I don't want anyone to JUST ACCEPT.

    ReplyDelete